Saturday, October 11, 2014

BV and Beyond Book Club


Eight students and I are participating in a book club for Bridgeview and Beyond this fall. Our first week, the students filled out a quick survey about book clubs and reading in general. (I'll share more with you about that in a minute.) Then, we talked about what a book club is. Finally, we chose the book we wanted to read from a list of ten titles. Escaping the Giant Wave by Peg Kehret was the winner. None of the students have read this book before and I am anxious to get a fresh perspective from them about the story. 

We ended our session with a read aloud of the first chapter and some discussion about what the book has in store for us. I can hardly wait to meet again to discuss the first three chapters.

Okay, back to the survey. One of the questions I asked was "What do you like best about reading?" I just loved the responses I got from them and wanted to share them out.

  • "... I can get hooked on the book."
  • "... just putting your mind on something else."
  • "It fills your imagination."
  • "I like how intrigued you can get in a book and how you never want to put the book down."
  • "I like the whole thing!"
  • "Going on a imagination adventure."
  • "You can learn."
  • "To get sucked into the story."
As our journey continues, I look forward to fun conversations about not only the book itself, but about how literature needs to be a part of our life. How "filling your imagination" or "putting your mind on something else" or "being hooked, intrigued and sucked in" are all a part of the joy of reading. And there's nothing better than sharing that joy with friends. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment